Why We Love People Tree...
People Tree was founded in 1991 by founders James and Safia Minney and are pioneers in Sustainable and Fair-Trade fashion. Their mission for the past three decades has been to make products that meet the highest ethical and environmental standards from start to finish. They produce modern, versatile, and classic designs that are innovative, stylish and affordable. The company respect people and planet and their ranges are made from organic cotton, TENCEL™ Lyocell and responsible wool, and are made using traditional artisan skills such as hand weaving, hand knitting, hand embroidery and hand block printing.
People Tree’s ranges meet the Global Organic Textile Standard certified by the Soil Association, and they were the first fashion company to be awarded the World Fair Trade Organisation product label. These certifications guarantee People Tree’s dedication and compliance to the principles of fair trade, covering fair wages, good working conditions, transparency, environmental best practice and gender equality.
They Have Important Core Missions…
- To support producer partners' efforts towards economic independence and control over their environment and to challenge the power structures that undermine their rights to a livelihood.
- To protect the environment and use natural resources suitably throughout our trading and to promote environmentally responsible initiatives to create new models to promote sustainability.
- To supply customers with good quality products, with friendly and efficient service and build awareness to empower customers and producers to participate in Fair Trade and environmentally sustainable solutions.
- To provide a supportive environment to all stakeholders and promote dialogue and understanding between them.
- To set an example to business and government of a Fair Trade model of business based on partnership, people-centered values and sustainability.
They Protect People & Planet…
Through using traditional skills such as hand weaving and hand knitting and combining them with new technologies, People Tree’s producers can grow their businesses. This helps create employment in rural areas where work is often challenging to find. Using low impact dyes free from harmful chemicals usually used in clothing manufacturing, both the people making the garments, and the environments they are made in are protected. People Tree only use natural materials where possible, avoiding plastic and any toxic substances.
They Champion Fair Trade…
People Tree has a Fair-Trade certification, meaning that their products are fair trade certified throughout the entire supply chain. Through their partnerships, they support their producers, which includes hand skills training, development of low impact dyes and organic cotton farming. Fairtrade is about better prices, decent working conditions, local sustainability, and fair terms of trade for farmers and workers in the global south. This requires companies to pay sustainable prices and address any injustices of conventional trade, which traditionally discriminates against those poorer and more vulnerable. Fair Trade trading gives producers more control over their lives, empowering otherwise disadvantaged farmers to help grow and strengthen communities, in turn helping to eliminate poverty and initiate societal change. Fair Trade also promotes training for farmers around climate change mitigation, including advice on switching to environmentally friendly practises, such as developing nutrient rich soils and encouraging wildlife rather than harmful chemicals to help control pests and promote growth. Buying Fair Trade is a small way to make a big difference.
They Use Natural Sustainable Materials…
People Tree use environmentally friendly materials including Organic Cotton, TENCEL, Linen and Wool. They ensure their materials are sustainable from farm to factory, from the soil the cotton is grown in, the dyes that are used, and the processes of washing garments. They adhere to certifications such as GOTS that protect farmers, their environment, and their communities. The fabrics feel luxury and don’t compromise on style and all of the materials eliminate the use of synthetic, harmful chemicals and additives.
Learn more about People Tree's core materials here.
They Have a Clear Environmental Policy…
- To only use natural fibres or fibres that use closed loop processes such as Lenzing Certified Tencel
- To use and source GOTS Certified Organic Cotton and ensure GOTS Certification throughout the supply chain as much as possible
- To promote Organic Farming
- To avoid polluting substances including using GOTS certified and Azo free dyes
- To protect water supplies through use of effluent water treatment plants, rainwater harvesting and water recycling
- To use biodegradable materials as much as possible
- To promote environmentally responsible initiatives for a sustainable future
- To support producer partners in controlling their own local environment and community
- To source suppliers who prioritise protection of the environment
- To promote the use of traditional crafts and handmade textiles
They Are Transparent About Who Makes Their Products…
People Tree work closely with people in developing countries to build viable businesses that can sustain communities. They share knowledge and provide financial assistance when needed so small businesses can meet high production standards. Each Fair Trade group is unique, with some set up specifically to deal with a particular issue, like Bombolulu, which provides work and trains in artisanal skills for people with disabilities, or to help a specific community. We love the fact we can learn more about all of People Tree’s partners and see who has made the garments we then sell to you. You can learn more about each partner here.
Their Clothes Are Stylish, Versatile and Contemporary…
We love the People Tree collections, from their continuity lines such as our customer favourite Oliana jumpsuit, Sasha Trousers and Underwear, to their high season lines like this gorgeous Spring collection currently available here. Each season sees a nod to current trends, whether that’s the colour du jour or a cut made popular on the catwalks, but each piece is considered and classic enough to wear again and again, beyond just one season. Whether you like a plainer capsule piece, a fun print, some dreamy denim or some luxury knitwear, we always enjoy curating a gorgeous selection from People Tree to cover all of these categories and offer you the most stylish and versatile pieces that can easily be integrated with your current wardrobe. Check out the full collection of People Tree now available here.
So if there's not enough reasons to love People Tree, we are confident the collection itself will be. Explore all we have to offer from People Tree here.
Thanks for reading! x
Written by Roberta Juxon-Keen